Monday, January 27, 2014

Parents Concern .. Ouuuuu



There are many concerns that parents have towards their kids self-being and growth. What they must do? How they should react? What they must watch? There are numerous of questions and concerns of parents in this generation that I have been willing to ask. So in order to do that, I interviewed my friend’s mom (Katherine). The main questions I focused on are the concerns of what their kids are watching? What media products do they consider good or healthy; and what are the reprimanding options you use to fix it? The interview went as followed…
            When it comes to the media: television. There are plenty of channels and shows that people watch; mainly children and adults. Most shows that come on range towards that age span. Interviewing Katherine, I asked, “What shows are you concerned about your daughter watching?” She replied saying, “There are many shows that I am concerned about my daughter watching, but the main ones that catch my attention are cartoons after 8:00 preferably Cartoon network’s: Adult Swim. I can watch that station because it’s entertainment to me, but when it comes to my daughter; the shows that come on are not appropriate for her age. They are full with violence, crude sex jokes, and inappropriate dialogue. They can influence her in so many ways, and I am not trying to have that”. Hearing a parent say that, brought thoughts to my mind. It is true, after that time cartoons are considered for adult entertainment. They have no positive influence on kids at their young age. Kids are known to be quick to catch on to what they see or hear. So Cartoon Network’s: Adult Swim, is a no go.
         
   Media offers so many products known to be good and bad. McDonalds are known to offer healthy foods compared to back then. They have orange juice, vegetables, apples, fruit cups, etc… Before all they had was greasy foods until the movie “Supersize Me” brought attention to corporate levels as well as lawsuits; they changed from there and also eliminated the “Supersize” option. I therefore asked Katherine, “What media products offer good influence to your children?” Katherine replied, “Well, my child loves the learning CD-ROM games, and to be honest. I love them as well. They teach my daughter math, spelling, language arts, and speaking. My daughter absolutely loves it, plus it isn’t boring. Ever since I bought the learning CD, my daughter has excelled in her subjects at school.” Media does offer good products, especially when it comes to learning.
            In society, we all know the reprimanding options that parents use in order to fix their kids that they can grow good instead of bad. We all started off young and were not foreign to some of the options. I asked Katherine, “what are your reprimanding options do you give your daughter whenever she does something wrong?” Katherine said, “There are many options that I use such as belt beating, taking away Ayla’s favorite show (Dora), spanking, etc... Parents know what is best at times, even though kids get rowdy at times. They have options and she shaped her child by doing so.
            Overall, there are many concerns that parents have towards their kids self-being and growth. What they must do? How they should react? Or what they must watch? Media is known to be essential in society and humans are glued to the media. It is up to the parents in order to shape their children in ways that most kids will not understand. Every parent has their different views and reasons to their action.

No comments:

Post a Comment